-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- VISUAL EXPLORATION -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12 March 2012

WK7: DIGITAL TAKEOVER

DISCUSSION
The below quote comes from an interview with the photographer Ricky Adam about his forth coming book Destroying Everything. The Analogue V Digital argument is an ongoing one that may never be resolved satisfactorily. The whole interview can be found here: http://digbmx.mpora.com/photo-ops/ricky-adam-destroying-everything/


"What role does post production play?  
Is there a difference between working with chemicals and working in a ‘Digital’ darkroom as far as the ‘Legitimacy’ of the final image?So long as the image hasn’t been manipulated in any way a good photo is a good photo, regardless of what sort of camera was used to take it. You have to be a lot more resourceful when shooting film. For one you shoot fewer photos, but in doing so I think you learn a lot more about composition, lighting, etc. I often wonder how many more photos I would have if I could have shot digital when I first started out? Would I even have pursued photography? Possibly not… "


MY RESPONSE:

"I agree with Sarina, in terms of editing being appropriate to an extent. If you have shot an incredible image, there is always room for improvement! Iv also said before that the main benefit (in my opinion) from such technological advancements is the speed it provides.

This is where I get lost with negative scanners, if you gunna shoot film and digitally edit and print it, what was the point?!

However, I think in the art world, film is well suited with the blind eye to minor alterations and tweaks such as dust removable and stitching. Also with art photography the appreciation of methods and quality is always considered, and can be applied to music comparing mp3 to vinyl. In modern day pocket sized and portable society, digital works. I have mates who have graduated in journalism and cannot find work as magazine and news paper are all now online and fading out.

The other side of things that alex has so eloquently put it, you cant polish a turd. (chapman bros being an exception). If you’ve taken a crap shot first time, the among of airbrushing you sling at it wont make It better. Historically, as duncan has spoken about photography was associated with evidence and fact among resources. Over the past say… forty years the medium has become more malleable and distorted to suit opinions and views of the artist. Photoshop hasn’t really helped, but like alex (again) I know my way around digital manipulation way for I stepped foot in a darkroom as it was what was available to me. You can download programs not a darkroom!

Hopfully, my skills with even."


No comments:

Post a Comment